Presenter: Sam Luce
Be a Pastor Not Just a Leader – Psalm 23
- David understood sheep far better than us. He understood that without God he was utterly helpless.
- We often paint a picture of what a leader should be- strong, right, having answers, etc, and we create this image of something that we can never live up to. It is unobtainable and unrealistic.
- The point of leadership is to not draw people to ourselves, but to point people to Jesus.
- We don’t build the kingdom of God, Jesus does. This can give us confidence, even when we don’t have all the answers.
- Being a leader is important, but having a heart that pants after God is more important.
1. We need to find our satisfaction in Christ alone.
- “The LORD is my Shepherd I shall not want.”
- We should not put our leadership through the grid of leadership books, but through the grid of the Gospel.
- Recommended book: Brothers, We Are Not Professionals
2. We need to practice active passivity.
- Christ builds the church and he uses me.
- God is the Person Who moves, and He moves me in response.
- Recommended book: A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23
- “Sheep have little or no means of self-defense. They are helpless, timid, feeble creatures whose only recourse is to run.” – W. Phillip Keller
- We will never be a good leader until we understand what it means to have a great shepherd.
- “It is this ‘active passivity’ of choosing to trust in God, of asking Him to do the work of the church and of the kingdom, and of yielding ourselves to Him for Him to do His work in and through us.” – Francis A. Schaffer
3. We need to embrace weakness, rather than relentlessly projecting strength.
- “He restores my soul.”
- Psalm 42:11
- “When the soul grows sorrowful He revives it; when it is sinful He sanctifies it; when it is weak He strengthens it.” – Charles Spurgeon
- As pastors, our job is not to lead well. It is to love well.
4. We need to resolve that Who is leading you is far more important than who you are leading.
- “He leads me in paths of righteousness for His namesake.”
- We often measure ourselves by numbers that don’t matter to God. God doesn’t care how many Twitter followers you have. He does care, however, that you follow Him.
- Life should conform you into the image of Christ and it will give you the confidence that you belong to him.
- Isaiah 53:6
- “Turning to my own way simply means doing what I want. It implies that I feel free to assert my own wishes and carry out my own ideas, and this I do in spite of every warning.” – W. Phillip Keller
- You don’t need to be a good leader, you just need to be a really good sheep.
What is the job of a Pastor?
- Minister from your brokenness.
- Constantly watch for “cast” sheep.
- Work hard but trust harder.
- Recognize that the power of our work comes from knowing that Christ is not just our Good Shepherd but also our sacrificial lamb. And you belong to him.